Saturday, July 9, 2011

Block Party Saturday

First Time Bee Blocks for Saricx





It's been another Block Party Saturday, and I'm trying to finish all my bee sewing before next weekend when the wedding invitations are in.  There won't be much more sewing after that for awhile, I think. 

This is the last month for the First Time Bee, and I'm really going to miss it.  It has been such a fun bee to participate in.  Everyone has chosen something different, and each one has tested both my skills and my creativity.  I've learned a ton in this bee.  The ladies in this bee have been wonderful.  Every single one has followed through every month.  I understand that this isn't always the case, so I am very appreciative.  And the creativity these ladies exhibit is just awesome!


This is actually a copy of the inspiration block, but Sarah said she would particularly like a hexi block similar to this.  I hope she likes it.  It was a pretty fun block to make, but I had to really talk to myself to convince myself to cut the hexis so that I could attach the borders.  It was like chopping into an old friend.



Here is the other block I made.  I've been wanting to try something like this for awhile, so I experimented on this block.  I kind of like it.  It was a very simple block.  I pieced strips of different widths in rows, cut it apart, and put it back together.  I kind of like the effect.  Kind of reminds me of mountains and valleys on a sunshiny day.

CF Bee block for Corley
Corley wanted improv fussy-cut blocks, and sent the fussy cuts already done.  I wasn't feeling very angular, so I just randomly sewed the pieces together.  I had a vague plan in mind,, and it turned out pretty much like I thought it would.  This was a fun block to do.  It's huge, too, at 16-1/2 inches.  Wow!

CF Bee Block for Marci
This is the final block I made.  I really love this star block.It's going to make a gorgeous quilt.  I had a little trouble following the directions.  It said something like add 1/4 inch for seam allowance, and I couldn't quite figure out how that was supposed to work, but after I got the block together the first time, I did figure out that it wasn't working, so I had to take it apart and re-do it.  It actually turned out a bit small, so I hope she can still use it.

So, I'm all caught up for now.  The CF Bee has one more month to run, I think, and then it's over too. Making bee blocks is just so relaxing, I think I'm going to have to find a new bee or two to participate in starting this fall. 

Happy sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It is never fun to write into a vacuum. I would love to know you were here, so stop and say hi!