Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Hooray for the Red, White and Blue!

I recently participated in a 4th of July mug rug swap.  It was one of those swaps where you and your partner exchange mug rugs, so you can't show much before your partner receives her item. 

It all started with these four tiny HSTs.  They were just laying there in a little pile, so when I picked them up and started playing around with them, they reminded me of stars.  These little goodies were left over from my Swoon block makeover.  I love it when I can use things I once would have thrown away.  It makes me feel so good.  Like I just won a bizillion dollars or something.  It's that whole something-for-nothing thing. 

Once I had the stars, the stripes were a no-brainer.  I had the gold "freedom" fabric left over from my something.  I can't remember now what it was.  I thought it was a Quilts of Valor project, but my Just One Star blocks didn't use this fabric.  Hmmm..  Anyway, it was in the scrap basket too.

And I added the red, white and blue tote I made last week.

I really love red, white and blue!

You're a grand old flag!
You're a high-flying flag!
And forever in peace may you wave.
You're an emblem of the land I love -
The home of the free and the brave!
Every heart beats true 'neath the red, white and blue
Where there's never a boast or brag,
But should auld acquaintance be forgot,
Keep your eye on the grand old flag!

That chorus from George M. Cohan has been rolling around in my head all morning, so it just had to come out!  And most of it from memory too (although I did check the words before I hit "publish".)


So Happy Birthday, America!  And grateful thanks to all those who have served and are serving our country to help keep our liberties (including you, WH!) 

1 comment:

  1. Great RW&B projects! We are grateful for our many freedoms in our country. Thanks to all who have given so much for it.

    ReplyDelete

It is never fun to write into a vacuum. I would love to know you were here, so stop and say hi!