Monday, July 9, 2012

I'm Swooning!

I finally finished my blocks for the 3x6 Bee.  In this bee you make 6 blocks of the same design in the colors your hive-mates choose.  I had done the test block a few weeks ago, but just now got back to making the blocks. 

I cut the pieces all at the same time and put them in little baggies to keep them straight.  I think it helped me NOT procrastinate because the pieces were all right there, ready and waiting.  One thing that threw me - the center square is not Color 1.  Let me say that again:  THE CENTER SQUARE IS NOT COLOR 1, WENDI!!!  (Can you see me thumping my head ala the old V8 commercials here?  Yup!  That's me.  And I had already made the test block and STILL didn't get it!   Why would I naturally assume that the largest block - the center block, even - would be called Color 1?  And do I actually READ directions?  Apparently not.)

As you may have guessed, I cut all the center squares from Color 1 and had to re-cut them.  ALL of them.  Oh well, 3-1/2 inch squares are pretty useful.  I'll find something to do with them.

There is nothing really difficult about the Swoon block.  Lots of tediousness though.  A ton of HSTs and flying geese and then putting all those together.  I'm ready to make some of these in their original size.  I'm wondering if they are less tedious.

The results are worth it, though.  This is a very dramatic block.  I really love the way they turned out.  This one is for Allison.

This one is Krista's.  I'm hoping to get to deliver this one in person when I go to Seattle next week.  We're going to have a meet-up.  We've been emailing, and now texting, so I can't wait to see her in person.  So fun!

This one is for Lisa.  I really like the aqua and purple together.  Who knew?

And this one is for Marian.  The aqua and gray is an interesting combination too.  I quite like the gray in this block (and we all know about my aversion to gray - but in this case, I admit that my prejudices might be too general).

 This block is for Melissa.  I didn't really care for this one at first, but it's growing on me.

This one is for Sarah.  This is such a dramatic color combination, don't you think?  I think I'll be doing more of this raspberry and mustard combination, although probably not with gray, although the gray works fine here.  Oddly, BD#2 picked raspberry and mustard for her wedding colors until DSIL#1 said it reminded him of hot dogs.  I'm now convinced that the raspberry and mustard would have been lovely, but the teal and orange was truly beautiful.

So, that's one more project completed.  They are not perfect by any means, but I'm not unhappy with the way they turned out.

1 comment:

  1. Your swoon blocks are gorgeous. I've made one and have not gotten back to them. your beautiful blocks may be the inspiration I need.

    ReplyDelete

It is never fun to write into a vacuum. I would love to know you were here, so stop and say hi!