Thursday, June 6, 2013

A Gift of Love

Now that Krista has received her gift, I can share it here.  A few months ago, Krista contacted some of her friends about making blocks for her chemo quilt.  She chose the Reverse Rainbow pattern from Kat (Diary of a Flutter.Kat), slightly ironic to me because I was in the original bee that Kat created this pattern for.




Anyway, of course I told Krista that I would be delighted to make her a couple of blocks and that I would be glad to make the quilt for her also.

I'm not really sure who made which block, to be honest.  I made the red one.

Here's dark pink...

And light pink....  I quilted each block individually, sampler style, using patterns from Angela Walters book.  Do you think if I practice enough I'll eventually get proficient at this FMQ thing?

I quilted feathers and leaves in the orange...

I love the way the colors in the blocks blend from one to the next in this quilt.

Wonky diamonds in the lime green

Flowers in the regular green.

I did the aqua block too.  I tried to use the most fun fabrics I had since I'm sure chemo isn't any fun at all.

I like the dark blue.  This is the first block I quilted.  These swirls are kind of scary, I think.  They surely need work.  {Melissa did this block.}

I tried a clamshell pattern in the lavender block.

I tried the herringbone pattern in the dark purple.  That circle print reminds me of bananas. LOL  And the one next to it reminds me of trees in the forest at dawn.


Dolores made this rainbow block.  She used lots of fun prints in it and made the star twice as big as the others.  It was perfect for a little interest on the back.

I actually remembered to put a label on this quilt.  Amazing.  (Sorry the pic is so blurry - note to self:  look at the photos before you pack up the quilt and send it off.)

And here's the overall pic of the back of the quilt.

I hope Krista will feel the love her friends poured into this quilt as she snuggles up in it as she goes through this experience.  Even more, I hope the chemo is successful.

As I was quilting these beautiful blocks, I couldn't help but think of the covenant the Lord made with Noah (Genesis, chapter 9):

"And the bow shall be in the cloud; and I will look upon it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is upon the earth.  And God said to Noah, This is the token of the covenant which I have established between me and all flesh that is upon the earth." 

And I thought how comforting it is that the Lord is on our side.  He will be with Krista throughout this experience.

Please keep Krista and her family in your prayers at this difficult time.






















9 comments:

  1. The blue block is mine, and she is most definitely in my prayers. Thank you for putting the quilt together and all of the love that you put into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a lovely job was done by all of Krista's friends! The different quilting in each of the different colored blocks is really nice. I'm sure she will probably spend lots of time running her fingers over all the blocks while exploring the different colors. Although I don't know Krista, I'll be sure to keep her in my prayers as well. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an awesome quilt! Lovely colour choices and quilting

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome gift of comfort and love for Krista. I love the stars and your quilting. Krista is lucky to have her quilting friends who are there for her. You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree with all the above comments! I'm totally lucky to have these girls in my life. They are my strength through this!! For reals. I cried when I opened the box. It must have been the love all bundled up!

    Thank you so much for putting all this hard work into this quilt, Wendi! I love you.

    Thank you for being my church strength in all this. I will remember this verse and am going to highlight now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, what a wonderful gift... good luck and health

    ReplyDelete
  7. totally gorgeous..she is in our prayers everyday...

    ReplyDelete
  8. What wonderful friends and a fabulous idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's beautiful! What a wonderful gift of love and friendship!

    ReplyDelete

It is never fun to write into a vacuum. I would love to know you were here, so stop and say hi!