Monday, February 10, 2014

A Much Needed Respite

It's been a bit quiet on the blog so far this month, but I have a good excuse.  Honest!!  I made a quick trip to visit my youngest daughter who is now living on the island of St. Maarten in the Netherlands Antilles, otherwise known as the Dutch West Indies.  It was so beautiful there.  And the weather was certainly a nice change from the ice storm we had the last week of January!!  And, of course, it was wonderful to visit with my girl! 

Arielle and her husband are living on St. Maarten for the next couple of years while he goes to medical school.  As always, there are advantages and drawbacks to such an adventure.  On the plus side, it is just so lovely.  Waking up to this view every morning would be pretty awesome. 

In addition to the three (yes three!) pools, their condo has its own private beach, and of course the gorgeous view.  And check out the circular stairs down to the beach!  I have to admit to a bit of vertigo as I headed down the stairs.  It seemed as though they were suspended in mid air.  (It kind of reminded me of that scene in Indiana Jones where he steps off the ledge onto the invisible walkway...  Whew!) 

On the down side, it is, after all, an island, which can leave one feeling quite isolated.  And, since they don't know very many people there, it can be a bit lonely, especially since Mitch is constantly studying.  Of course, that gave me the perfect opportunity to visit and see the sights.  This is a view of "downtown" Marigot, and yes, the traffic is kind of a free-for-all throughout the island.  I believe there is only one stop light on the whole island.  Arielle manages it pretty well, but I have to admit that the first day, I was a bit freaked out by the cars going every which way!  I was so glad I wasn't driving.

 It was a lovely - and much needed - short vacation.  Guess it's time to go see if I can get back in the groove. 

Au revoir!




2 comments:

It is never fun to write into a vacuum. I would love to know you were here, so stop and say hi!