Sunday, September 21, 2014

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes...

It's really been awhile since I've posted on my poor, neglected little blog, and honestly, it doesn't look like that's going to get better any time soon.  After a wonderful summer of watching the grands and a fabulous cruise with the hubs, I came home and didn't even get fully unpacked before I had a job offer, which has totally consumed my life.

Once upon a time, before there were grands or children or even a husband, there was this idea that I would one day teach English.  Then the changes came, one by one.  Good ones, but sometimes distracting.  First, my mom got me a job at the bank where she worked so I could earn money to pay for college.

Next came the husband, right in the middle this educational adventure.  He was military, and so we moved a lot.  Since I was in a rush to get my degree, I didn't take any Ed courses, just the courses necessary to get that oh-so-essential piece of paper.  Meanwhile, I kept working at banks as we moved around.  It seemed like they always needed people.

Sometime later, children came, but by now, the banking thing was a career, and I was deeply entrenched.

Quilts I made in 2013

Then, decades later, I got laid off, and I got to quilt full time for almost a year and a half.  It was awesome!

Things I swapped in 2013
But as amazing as full-time quilting was for my emotional well-being, it wasn't so great for the budget.  In fact, I realized that if I spent all my retirement money before I was 60, there were going to be bleak years ahead.

Somewhere along the line, I remembered that old dream of teaching English, and started applying for various teaching positions with our local school district.  One day I went to an interview, and the next thing I knew I had a job offer.  From there, it got crazy.  In fact, it's been a little like trying to sip water from a fire hose.


Between teaching 130 students a day and taking the necessary classes and workshops for my certification, Barbie has been pretty lonely.  And when I 'm not teaching, taking classes, or grading papers, I am sleeping.  But I am confident that these early days won't last forever.  Hopefully, one day soon, I can come home from work and sit down and do a little quilting, just as I did when I was a full-time banker.

Until then, please don't give up on me.  I'll be back.

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new job! I hope you have time to quilt soon, because we miss your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, thank you so much for the sweet comment! You made my day!

      Delete
  2. I'm exhausted just reading your schedule. I hope you soon find the groove and can get reacquainted with Barbie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your new job. I hope you can squeeze in some sewing before too long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've got a great reason to be busy! Your sewing peeps will wait for you. :)

    ReplyDelete

It is never fun to write into a vacuum. I would love to know you were here, so stop and say hi!